Tuesday 18 September 2012

Entente Cordiale



We went on a coach trip to Paris - that's Caddoc and Ada and me - we thought we could parler en français, but, eh bien! that was not to be. Peut être the natives, when talking, confused our sad, xenophobe ears as we floundered in incomprehension; their patois reduced us to tears! 
So we sought out un thé dansant café where très jolie musique was played and dames et messieurs in tight trousers their pulsating rhumbas displayed.

I offered to partner Ms Ada;  we abandoned all plans to converse, and took to the dance floor, gyrating, but events took a turn for the worse when, carried away with the rhythms, my elbow  knocked off Caddoc’s hat. Then along came a frenetic français who trod on his chapeau - KERSPLAT!
At this point friend Cad really lost it. He rose, and emitting a roar, he grasped the jeune homme by his collar and frog-marched the Frog through the door. (*)

The café fell silent.  The patrons first stared, then whispered and muttered till I (prudently) hid behind Ada,  in case a clenched fist should whirl by.
Le garçon cried out "He deserves it!" 
"Who, Caddoc?" 
"Non! Gaston,” said Cad. “That chap I just dumped on le trottoir. He strutted like he’s Jaques-le-Lad!”
"Steady on!" cried someone in English, in time with the fiddle and  bongo, which commenced with a popular chorus. You'd know it - "It Takes Three to Tango!"
And so after all we were fêted;  they toasted le tout Trellis tribe – but don’t believe all of cette histoire – just try to spot where I have lied!

(*) "La porte" would suit here, but it doesn't rhyme with "roar."  Suggestions anyone?


With apologies to Tess and Salvador Dali for this spot of Magpie Madness!

17 comments:

  1. I like the mixture of French and English - very smart;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh là là ... Ménage à trois ~ nice!

    ReplyDelete
  3. >>"La porte" would suit here, but it doesn't rhyme with "roar." Suggestions anyone?<<
    How's this?
    >>He rose, and emitting a snort, he grasped the jeune homme by his collar and frog-marched the Frog through la porte.<<

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like that snort at la porte! I would have just "La door"
    Very fun post!Love the franglais

    ReplyDelete
  5. lol...I giggled at the typical English.. "Steady on" I could have sworn it would have said..'Old chap' LOL

    ReplyDelete
  6. Heeheehee - Here's the only French I know: toast. Just think about it, you'll get it in a minute. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Okay, please let me pick myself up from falling down on the fall in such deep laughter! FUNNY! Stuff....you always make my day, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. "He rose sans concord [cordiale], grasped the jeune homme by his collar and frog-marched the Frog through the door"

    Not that it needs even a soupcon of anything from the audience. It's perfect as it is.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Superb! Enjoyed this very much indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes dialects are troublesome- & so are elbows!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very funny, curious supplementation.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Started giggling at the picture and laughed all the way through...

    ReplyDelete
  13. C'est très drôle! Je l'adore...and I'm still laughing at the faces on Venus and the Sailor.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm glad I got here before the next Mag overtook this and relegated it to extinction.
    Entente cordiale has never looked so good! Vive la France, mes amis. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ah! Very funny as usual, mon amis!

    ReplyDelete